I used to be an avid bicycle rider and made hundreds of cross-country journeys using regular cruiser bikes. But the day I converted my bicycle into an electric one using an E-bike conversion kit, I didn't have to look back again.
It's been a game-changer ever since for its affordability and quality on top of providing extra torque, non-fatigued quadriceps and hamstrings, longer distance coverage and most importantly, the joy of tireless journeys. That's why I call it an 'upgrade'! However, almost all bicycles can be upgraded but the highest performance depends on buying the right kit.
Tell you what, it's not that easy to find the right kit as the market is littered with tons of different types and brands which would confuse you. This is exactly why Gearbikesreview team has tested the best Ebike conversion kits on the market for creating the top 10 list. So, read carefully to have a better understanding of this kit to make a better buying decision.
Why You Should Trust Us
Here at Gearbikesreview we crave for perfection and do not rest until we find the best. Our gang of bike fanatics consists of a cluster of professional cycle mechanics, engineers, and designers who understand bikes more than anything. We use this platform to share our experience and knowledge with the bikers and bike enthusiasts around the world.
Our reviews and how-to blogs on different bikes and related gear are just the tip of the iceberg. We conduct hundreds of hours of market research and field-tests before coming up with our discussions and reviews. That's why we ask you to read them carefully.
We do not have affiliations with any brand or manufacturers; instead, we depend on facts that we derive from our research and testings. Our aim is to provide our audience with as many facts regarding a particular product as possible, so they can make their own buying decisions.
How We Picked These Products
We spent close to 30 hours surfing the web and analyzing to list down 40 renowned ebike kits with the highest number of ratings and positive user reviews. Since our mission was to select the top 10 kits, we couldn’t rely on the web results alone. So we bought some of the models and tested them under various conditions.
We engaged other independent volunteers to help us buy and participate in the field-test sessions. We did the comparisons of features and performance and picked the models based on their performance, motor ratings, speed, battery, and ease of use.
Then, we consulted with expert bikers to know if the views are the same with our findings. That way we finalized the top 10 models and proceeded to create elaborate written reviews.
Our 10 Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit List
So, what is the best electric bike kit? Well, let's find out from the following section of reviews where we talked about the top ebike conversion kits available on the market. We’ve listed them by the types they belong and they’re also reviewed per their features. All the motors on this list have a high-power rating so you’ll get to enjoy quality rides.
Why Use Ebike Conversion Kits
An electric bike conversion kit comes with the parts and components you’ll need to upgrade your ride. It lets you transform your pedal bicycle to something more powerful and easier to ride without having to break the bank. Electric bike kits have many advantages, especially when it comes to cost efficiency.
Conversion kits allow you to renew your old bike instead of spending money to buy a new e-bike. So, with a bike and electric bicycle kit, you can build an e-bike yourself within a short time.
The only thing is to research about the kits to know if your bike can handle the power. Besides, you’ll enjoy the benefit of choosing your highest motor power and speed. Also, the replacement parts are readily available for repairs and maintenance since they’re not made for a given brand
E-Bike Conversion Kit: A Comprehensive Buying Guide
It’s never a good idea to shop for a product when you don’t have enough information on its parts and performance. You’re understanding of the model is your strongest conviction when buying. So, to ease your burden, here are the facts to consider before buying an electric bike conversion kit.
The four e-bike conversion kit types are:
- E-bike Wheels – This type is very popular among cyclists because of its affordability and ease of installation. You’ll only replace one of your bike’s wheel with the e-bike wheel bearing the motor and In most hubs, the battery and motor are in the same compartment which results in weight imbalance. Thus, its often recommended keeping the battery in a different place.
After fixing the unit in the front or rear wheel, the bike can now speed up to at least 25mph. Off-road bikes have good traction making it perfect for installing a rear wheel motor.
Another important thing to consider is your suspension fork’s ability to withstand the motor’s weight. It’s not ideal to use an e-bike wheel on a road bike because of their low suspension strength.
The size of the wheels may vary. Most common sizes are– 20, 24, 26, 28 and 29 inches (29 models are called 29ers).
- Mid-Drive Conversion – If you’ve got a motor already, then you’ll its ideal to buy a mid-drive conversion kit. It has a better weight distribution since the battery and motor are mounted on the bottom bracket frame. Its only drawback is that the motor is prone to damage because of its place of mount especially when you’re on an off-road ride.
- Friction Drive – This is the most inefficient and unpopular e-bike conversion kit. As the name implies, it drives the rear wheel forward via the friction between the rollers and the tire. It is very archaic and the weight effect is bad.
- Concealed – If you don’t want other road users to see where your bike engine is located, this is the ideal option. The motor that drives the bottom bracket is located in the seat tube. Mostly, they are equipped with 200W motors and often features a long-lasting battery.
The quality of a product matters more than the price. Sometimes, most cheap conversion kits will not give you the expected results, so, you need to spend a little more to buy a good deal. Usually, expensive components are the lightest but the hardest.
A high-quality product will be durable especially if you adhere to the manufacturer’s installation and maintenance instructions. Yet, you wouldn’t expect a low-quality kit to last, so quality must be your top priority.
4. Motor Ratings
The rating of the motor determines its speed and power. Motor ratings are given in Volts, Watts, and RPM. A 500W motor with a higher RPM will perform better than a 200W motor even if they run on the same battery type. There is a wide range of motors available. Most common wattage models are 250W, 500W, 750W, 1500W, 2000W, 3000W (3KW), 5000W and 8000W.
In terms of volts, the most common units are 24V, 36V, 48V and 72V.
You can’t possibly enjoy the eif the motor’s performance is poor. Reading reviews will give you clues about the product’s performance.
You wouldn’t want a low-speed ebike since it’s not the car’s replacement you need. Besides, the speed throttle should be flexible and easy to control. In average the speed limit of such kits are not more than 40 mph. However, high performance kits can allow up to 50 mph if the bike is in the right condition. We’d suggest you not to go for the fastest kit unless you’re a pro user.
7. Battery Versatility
A good e-bike conversion kit should accept different battery types. This is very important, especially when changing the old battery.
8. Ease of Use
Installing and using a conversion kit should be easy. The reviews from the users will also help you to know its ease of use.
Unwanted sound from the motor is always distracting and annoying which is the reason to buy a kit with a low noise rating. However, the cheapest models make the highest noise.
E-bike conversion kits are made to help you own an electric bike at an affordable rate. The only thing you’ll do after buying is to fix it per the installation instructions. So, if you’re ready to buy one, it’s time to look at our top models below.
How to Install a Front or Rear Wheel Conversion Kit?
This guide shows the steps for installing a hub motor conversion kit.
- Remove the wheel that you’re to replace and if it’s the rear wheel, take off the chain too. You’ll need to remove the left pedal if you’ll be using a PAS.
- Install the tire on the wheel if it didn’t come with one. But, if your wheel had tire already, you can skip this stage.
- Fix the wheel in the front or back of the bike. Remember to install the cassette if it’s a rear-wheel then rotate the pedal to ensure its spinning freely.
- Position the controller in a place that will not be too far for the various connecting cables.
- Remove the lock ring for the left pedal and install the Pedal assist sensor. Then, replace the lock ring and the pedal arm. It’s essential to tighten the bolts firmly.
- Mount the battery in a comfortable place.
- Take off the old handlebar grips with the brake levers then insert the LCD. You can reuse the old brake levers and grips or use the new ones.
- Connect the brake, throttle, battery, and LCD cables to the controller.
- Clip the cables neatly to the frame and power the motor to see if everything is working.
- Now, you’re ready to hit the road with your fresh ebike.
E-Bike Conversion Kit Installation Tips
Installing an e-bike kit yourself is easy if you know what to do at each step. However, the following tips will be of help.
- Get your tools ready: You’ll need flat screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, air pump, and other tools depending on the type of bike your using.
- Set up a suitable workspace: You need to prepare a nice place to work on the bike. Your spot must be free of dirt, iron parts, water, and grease.
- Get a bike stand: This is very useful as it’ll allow you to access every part of the bike with ease.
- Users Instructions: Adhere to the instructions on the manual and don’t expect all bikes to have the same installation rules.
The kits on this buying guide are of the highest quality that you’ll find on the market for mid-drive, front, and rear conversion. The type of wheel may not matter, what matters is finding the best ebike conversion kit. Hopefully, our reviews would guide you to choose the right model.
If you’re yet to decide on what model to buy, you can opt for the AW 26” x 1.75” Rear wheel conversion kit. It comes with a complete wheelset and a 1000W motor with a maximum speed of 48KPH.
If you’re looking for more power and speed, the Ebikelink 48V 1200W 700c bicycle conversion kit is the ideal choice for you. It comes with everything you need to own a new ebike except the battery. The motor is very powerful and operates silently.
The 8 fun Bafang BBSO3/BBSHD is the ideal option for a Mid Drive electric bike conversion kit. It’s suitable for diverse bike types and comes with a Bluetooth enabled LCD.
Make sure you check if the bike is compatible with your preferred kit before paying. Also, most kits are easier to install than others, you’ll find more info on this in the reviews.