The main reason many people are falling in love with electric bikes its simplicity, speed, and ease of maintenance, thanks to recent advancements in technology. Now, you can convert your regular bicycle to an electric bike by installing an ebike conversion kit. Upgrading your bike can only be easy if you’re buying the best ebike conversion kit.
If you’d searched the web for this product, you’ll come across different types and brands which could create more confusion in your mind. You’d not want to buy the wrong kit which is why you need this buying guide.
Here is everything you need to boost your understanding of bike conversion kits so you can make the right decision.
Why Use Ebike Conversion Kit?
An electric bike conversion kit comes with the parts and components you’ll need to upgrade your ride. It lets you transform your pedal bicycle to something more powerful and easier to ride without having to break the bank. Electric bike kits have many advantages which border more on cost efficiency.
Conversion kits allow you to renew your old bike instead of spending money to buy a new e-bike. So, with a bike and electric bicycle kit, you can build an e-bike yourself within a short time.
The only thing is to research about the kits to know if your bike can handle the power. Besides, you’ll enjoy the benefit of choosing your best motor power and speed. Also, the replacement parts are readily available for repairs and maintenance since they’re not made for a given brand
How Did We Pick These Products?
We spent 30 hours surfing the web to see the views of the users of these products. Following this research, we could list 40 renowned ebike kits available. Since our mission is to select the top 10 ebike conversion kits on the market, we couldn’t rely on the web results alone. So we bought some of the products and tested them under various conditions. We engaged other independent volunteers to help us buy and test them as well.
Each of these volunteers provided their reports which we compiled along with ours. From there, we had more understanding of the products and how each fared with another. So, we compared each of the products based on their performance, motor ratings, speed, battery, and ease of use. Then, we consulted with expert bikers to know if the views are the same with our findings.
After the rigorous tests, we could select the models with the best features and performance. Also, the data we got from the research helped us develop more understanding of the expectations of the consumers from these kits. Having seen that we’ve met all the criteria for the selection, we could list our top ten best ebike conversion kit with confidence.
What to Consider While Buying E-Bike Conversion Kit?
It’s never a good idea to shop for a product when you don’t have enough information on its parts and performance. You’re understanding of the model is your strongest conviction when buying. So, to ease your burden, here are the facts to consider before buying an electric bike conversion kit.
The four e-bike conversion kit types are:
- E-bike Wheels – This type is very popular among cyclists because of its affordability and ease of installation. You’ll only replace one of your bike’s wheel with the e-bike wheel bearing the motor and In most hubs, the battery and motor are in the same compartment which results in weight imbalance. Thus, its often recommended keeping the battery in a different place.
After fixing the unit in the front or rear wheel, the bike can now speed up to at least 25mph. Off-road bikes have good traction making it perfect for installing a rear wheel motor.
Another important thing to consider is your suspension fork’s ability to withstand the motor’s weight. It’s not ideal to use an e-bike wheel on a road bike because of their low suspension strength.
- Mid-drive Conversion – If you’ve got a motor already, then you’ll its best to buy a mid-drive conversion kit. It has a better weight distribution since the battery and motor are mounted on the bottom bracket frame. Its only drawback is that the motor is prone to damage because of its place of mount especially when you’re on an off-road ride.
- Friction Drive – This is the most inefficient and unpopular e-bike conversion kit. As the name implies, it drives the rear wheel forward via the friction between the rollers and the tire. It is very archaic and the weight effect is bad.
- Concealed – If you don’t want other road users to see where your bike engine is located, this is the ideal option. The motor that drives the bottom bracket is located in the seat tube. Mostly, they are equipped with 200W motors and often features a long-lasting battery.
The quality of the product matters more than the price. Sometimes, most cheap conversion kits will not give you the expected results, so, you need to spend a little more to buy a good product.
A high-quality product will be durable especially if you adhere to the manufacturer’s installation and maintenance instructions. Yet, you wouldn’t expect a low-quality product to last, so quality must be your top priority.
4. Motor ratings
The rating of the motor determines its speed and power. Motor ratings are given in Volts, Watts, and RPM. A 500W motor with a higher RPM will perform better than a 200W motor even if they run on the same battery type.
You can’t possibly enjoy the bike if the motor’s performance is poor. Reading reviews will give you clues about the product’s performance.
You wouldn’t want a low-speed ebike since it’s not the car’s replacement you need. Besides, the speed throttle should be flexible and easy to control.
7. Battery versatility
A good e-bike conversion kit should accept different battery types. This is very important, especially when changing the old battery.
8. Ease of use
Installing and using a conversion kit should be easy. The reviews from the users will also help you to know its ease of use.
Unwanted sound from the motor is always distracting and annoying which is the reason to buy a kit with a low noise rating.
E-bike conversion kits are made to help you own an electric bike at an affordable rate. The only thing you’ll do after buying is to fix it per the installation instructions. So, if you’re ready to buy one, it’s time to look at our top models below.
Our Top 10 Products
These are the best ebike conversion kits available on the market. We’ve listed them by the types they belong and they’re also reviewed per their features. Many of the motors on this list have a high-power rating so you’ll get good quality rides. You may also need the less powerful motors for short errands and commuting.
Electric Bike Conversion Kit Installation Tips
Installing an e-bike kit yourself is easy if you know what to do at each step. However, the following tips will be of help.
- Get your tools ready: You’ll need flat screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, air pump, and other tools depending on the type of bike your using.
- Set up a suitable workspace: You need to prepare a nice place to work on the bike. Your spot must be free of dirt, iron parts, water, and grease.
- Get a bike stand: This is very useful as it’ll allow you to access every part of the bike with ease.
- Users Instructions: Adhere to the instructions on the manual and don’t expect all bikes to have the same installation rules.
How to Install a Front or Rear Wheel Conversion Kit?
This guide shows the steps for installing a hub motor conversion kit.
- Remove the wheel that you’re to replace and if it’s the rear wheel, take off the chain too. You’ll need to remove the left pedal if you’ll be using a PAS.
- Install the tire on the wheel if it didn’t come with one. But, if your wheel had tire already, you can skip this stage.
- Fix the wheel in the front or back of the bike. Remember to install the cassette if it’s a rear-wheel then rotate the pedal to ensure its spinning freely.
- Position the controller in a place that will not be too far for the various connecting cables.
- Remove the lock ring for the left pedal and install the Pedal assist sensor. Then, replace the lock ring and the pedal arm. It’s essential to tighten the bolts firmly.
- Mount the battery in a comfortable place.
- Take off the old handlebar grips with the brake levers then insert the LCD. You can reuse the old brake levers and grips or use the new ones.
- Connect the brake, throttle, battery, and LCD cables to the controller.
- Clip the cables neatly to the frame and power the motor to see if everything is working.
- Now, you’re ready to hit the road with your fresh ebike.
The kits on this buying guide are the best you’ll find on the market for mid-drive, front, and rear conversion. The type of wheel may not matter rather what’s important is finding the best ebike conversion kit.
If you’re yet to decide on the product to buy, you can opt for our No. choice which is the AW 26” x 1.75” Rear wheel conversion kit. It comes with a complete wheelset and a 1000W motor with a maximum speed of 48KPH.
If you’re looking for more power and speed, the Ebikelink 48V 1200W 700c bicycle conversion kit is the ideal choice for you. It comes with everything you need to own a new ebike except the battery. The motor is very powerful and operates silently.
The 8 fun Bafang BBSO3/BBSHD is the best option for a Mid Drive electric bike conversion kit. It’s suitable for diverse bike types and comes with a Bluetooth enabled LCD.
Ensure to check if the bike is compatible with your preferred kit before paying. Also, most kits are easier to install than others, you’ll find more info on this by reading reviews.