What You Will Get Here
- Why Use Ebike Conversion Kit?
- How Did We Pick These Products?
- What to Consider While Buying E-Bike Conversion Kit?
- Our Top 10 Products
- Editor’s Choice: AW 26’’ x 1.75” E-Bike Conversion 48V1000W
- Best Rear Wheel Kit: Voilamart 26” Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
- Best Front Wheel Kit: AW 26” x 1.75” Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
- Mid-Drive Kit: BAFANG BBS02B 48V 750W Ebike Motor
- Direct Drive Kit: EBIKELING 48V 1200W 700C Bicycle Conversion Kit
- A List of 5 Other Products We Reviewed
- Other Tested Products
- Electric Bike Conversion Kit Installation Tips
- How to Install a Front or Rear Wheel Conversion Kit?
Why Use Ebike Conversion Kit?
An electric bike conversion kit comes with the parts and components you’ll need to upgrade your ride. It lets you transform your pedal bicycle to something more powerful and easier to ride without having to break the bank. Electric bike kits have many advantages which border more on cost efficiency.
Conversion kits allow you to renew your old bike instead of spending money to buy a new e-bike. So, with a bike and electric bicycle kit, you can build an e-bike yourself within a short time.
The only thing is to research about the kits to know if your bike can handle the power. Besides, you’ll enjoy the benefit of choosing your best motor power and speed. Also, the replacement parts are readily available for repairs and maintenance since they’re not made for a given brand
How Did We Pick These Products?
We spent 30 hours surfing the web to see the views of the users of these products. Following this research, we could list 40 renowned ebike kits available. Since our mission is to select the top 10 ebike conversion kits on the market, we couldn’t rely on the web results alone. So we bought some of the products and tested them under various conditions. We engaged other independent volunteers to help us buy and test them as well.
Each of these volunteers provided their reports which we compiled along with ours. From there, we had more understanding of the products and how each fared with another. So, we compared each of the products based on their performance, motor ratings, speed, battery, and ease of use. Then, we consulted with expert bikers to know if the views are the same with our findings.
After the rigorous tests, we could select the models with the best features and performance. Also, the data we got from the research helped us develop more understanding of the expectations of the consumers from these kits. Having seen that we’ve met all the criteria for the selection, we could list our top ten best ebike conversion kit with confidence.
What to Consider While Buying E-Bike Conversion Kit?
It’s never a good idea to shop for a product when you don’t have enough information on its parts and performance. You’re understanding of the model is your strongest conviction when buying. So, to ease your burden, here are the facts to consider before buying an electric bike conversion kit.
The four e-bike conversion kit types are:
- E-bike Wheels – This type is very popular among cyclists because of its affordability and ease of installation. You’ll only replace one of your bike’s wheel with the e-bike wheel bearing the motor and In most hubs, the battery and motor are in the same compartment which results in weight imbalance. Thus, its often recommended keeping the battery in a different place.
After fixing the unit in the front or rear wheel, the bike can now speed up to at least 25mph. Off-road bikes have good traction making it perfect for installing a rear wheel motor.
Another important thing to consider is your suspension fork’s ability to withstand the motor’s weight. It’s not ideal to use an e-bike wheel on a road bike because of their low suspension strength.
- Mid-drive Conversion – If you’ve got a motor already, then you’ll its best to buy a mid-drive conversion kit. It has a better weight distribution since the battery and motor are mounted on the bottom bracket frame. Its only drawback is that the motor is prone to damage because of its place of mount especially when you’re on an off-road ride.
- Friction Drive – This is the most inefficient and unpopular e-bike conversion kit. As the name implies, it drives the rear wheel forward via the friction between the rollers and the tire. It is very archaic and the weight effect is bad.
- Concealed – If you don’t want other road users to see where your bike engine is located, this is the ideal option. The motor that drives the bottom bracket is located in the seat tube. Mostly, they are equipped with 200W motors and often features a long-lasting battery.
The quality of the product matters more than the price. Sometimes, most cheap conversion kits will not give you the expected results, so, you need to spend a little more to buy a good product.
A high-quality product will be durable especially if you adhere to the manufacturer’s installation and maintenance instructions. Yet, you wouldn’t expect a low-quality product to last, so quality must be your top priority.
4. Motor ratings
The rating of the motor determines its speed and power. Motor ratings are given in Volts, Watts, and RPM. A 500W motor with a higher RPM will perform better than a 200W motor even if they run on the same battery type.
You can’t possibly enjoy the bike if the motor’s performance is poor. Reading reviews will give you clues about the product’s performance.
You wouldn’t want a low-speed ebike since it’s not the car’s replacement you need. Besides, the speed throttle should be flexible and easy to control.
7. Battery versatility
A good e-bike conversion kit should accept different battery types. This is very important, especially when changing the old battery.
8. Ease of use
Installing and using a conversion kit should be easy. The reviews from the users will also help you to know its ease of use.
Unwanted sound from the motor is always distracting and annoying which is the reason to buy a kit with a low noise rating.
E-bike conversion kits are made to help you own an electric bike at an affordable rate. The only thing you’ll do after buying is to fix it per the installation instructions. So, if you’re ready to buy one, it’s time to look at our top models below.
Our Top 10 Products
These are the best ebike conversion kits available on the market. We’ve listed them by the types they belong and they’re also reviewed per their features. Many of the motors on this list have a high-power rating so you’ll get good quality rides. You may also need the less powerful motors for short errands and commuting.