Many of us desire to ride a fixed gear bike but what turns us down from buying it is the price! It might be difficult for us to afford a fixed gear bike. But, you should not be heartbroken either because we have come up with the perfect solution for you.
By perfect solution, we meant our article. Our article holds a step by step procedure to make fixed gear bike. So, why would you waste your money when you can make one?
The techniques given below can be followed in sequential manner in order to make fixed gear bike:
Step 1: Grab the stuffs needed
Get the things you will need to continue the process further. You will require following things:
- 1 bike frame and fork
- 2 wheels
- 2 tires (700×25)
- 2 inner tubes (700×25)
- 1 or 2 brake sets with cables
- 1 single speed crankset
- 2 pedals
- 2 cages and straps
- 1 saddle
- 1 seatpost
- 1 stem
- 1 bottom bracket
- 1 single speed chain
- 1 handlebar
- Handlebar tape (optional)
- Sandblaster with sand (optional)
- Paint stripper (optional)
- Powder coating kit (optional)
You should verify if your frame has horizontal dropout or not that is the slot which keeps your rear wheel axle are more or less in a horizontal way. It lets the forward and backward movement of the wheel to fix for chain tension which resists the chain from slipping off. If you have vertical dropout, you can change it into special hub. Besides, pick a frame based on your physical strength and appearance. Choose a right material for your bike to enjoy a long lasting ride. You can choose between steel, aluminum, fiberglass and titanium material.
Step 2: Readjusting old frame
Take your older frame and make any adjustment to your frame, if required. You may have to sand down the slots of a fork with a dremmel so that the wheels fit accurately. Many bikes need a full disassembly to shape it in proper fixed gear bike. If needed you should do it too. Chain tool, allen keys, lockring tool, socket wrench, vice grip and other tools can help you to disassemble.
Step 3: Refurnish old frame
If you want to renovate your previous frame, use a sandblast to take off the paint from the frame and paint your new frame as you like. You should stripe off the rusts also to give your bike a polished look. Be careful while you do this as sandblasting can cause different health diseases. Use a powder coating kit from local powder coating company for painting. Clean your frame before you put the colors on. Paint the bottom bracket too as many people leave it for being right or left threaded.
Step 4: Assembly
In order to reassemble the bike, we will work with the previous parts mostly. But, if needed, we can buy few extra parts too. For the main frame parts we will need- handlebars, seat with seat post, bearings and other head tube parts, headset, handlebar plugs and fork. Brake cable, Brake caliper with washers and bolts and brake lever are the additional parts which is the bottom bracket. You will also need- toeclip pedals, 1/8 inches chain and singlespeed chainring and crankset here. You will only need a fixed gear rear wheel to make fixed gear bike. To make sure the cog and chaining is securely fixed; you should buy a wheel with fixed gear hub. The gear ratio should be taken into account when buying cog and chainring.
As soon as everything is gathered, you can assemble the bike. Grease any threads before you screw the bolts for swift movement. You can begin by reattaching the bottom bracket tool and the front fork with the help of large crescent wrench.
Start with cog. Screw it in a clockwise way and then tighten it properly with the chain whip. Screw the lockring also just like you did with cog by using the lockring tool. Adjust the front and back wheels in their place and tighten it but not too much. You should keep it loose to add chain later.
- Dive into the world of fixed-gear cycling with the Schwinn Kedzie 700C Fixie Bicycle. This fixie bike features a Schwinn steel racing frame and fork for a responsive, reliable ride.
- In true fixed-gear fashion, a 46T by 18T single-speed drivetrain with flip-flop hub propels this bike (fixed cog sold separately).
- 700C wheels with 32H alloy rims offer strength and performance during commutes.
- Designed for city riding, alloy front and rear caliper brakes deliver precise stops, while Schwinn urban seat and grips add comfort and style.
- This men's bike ships ready to be assembled, has a limited lifetime warranty, and the wheels measure 700C.
Attach the cranked (check if the chainring is on the right side of the bike), the handlebars, brakes and seat. For additional safeguard, you can use handlebar tapes to the handlebar after the brake leaver is fastened. You should also verify if the front wheel is uniformed with the headset.
Next, you should thread the brake cable by using needle nose pilers and a crescent wrench. The brake tension can be accustomed based on your choice. The chain tool now eliminate the links of the chain and let it be done till it reaches the right length and then add it to your bike.
The rear wheel should be slided back along the dropout till the chain is taught and tighten the bolts later. The rear wheel should also be in line with the frame. For this, we have already mentioned you will need a horizontal dropout.
Finally, your bike is ready to ride!
Easy or tough – no matter what – your dedication should be the only concern to make a fixed gear bike if you can’t afford one from a number of choices. A little hard work is fine against saving a fair amount of money. So, we think we have helped you save that money successfully. We hope you will feel no hassle in implementing the steps.
- 【Foldable】 - It is equipped with a quick release clip that helps to fold the bike quickly, can be easily folded and stored in the corner of the apartment or trunk and can be carried around.
- 【High Quality Mountain Bike】 - Sturdy frame, the folding mountain bike frame made of high carbon steel combined with excellent welding technology makes it a durable and stable cruiser.
- 【Unique Tires】 - 26" 6-spoke fashion rim tires, more secure and solid. With 21 gears to cope with hilly terrain, the gear change is great and smooth. All-terrain wide tires mountain tires sit on lightweight and durable alloy wheels for added stability. The 21-speed shifter ensures complete control in any situation.
- 【Enjoy Riding】 - The stunt bike is perfect for mountain and wasteland riding, and can also be ridden effectively on road, off-road, city, beach or snow, etc. The tires have superb anti-slip function, not easy to slip, and the front and rear wheels are splash-proof, so it can be used in rainy days.
- 【Best Choice for Different Heights】 - Suitable for riders of different heights, easily conquer any off-road road. Dual front and rear disc brakes perfectly improve the safety and controllability of the rider, suitable for cyclists, commuters and college students, providing more choices.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Nico Valsesia, Giovanni Storti, Marco Pagani (Actors)
- Morgan Bertacca (Director) - Mooz Film (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)