Riding an e-bike allows you to experience the serene beauty of nature, even in hard-to-reach locations due to their pedal-assist motors. Whether it’s a brand new or used electric bike, it allows you to explore forests and hidden trails with less physical effort.
Knowing where to venture with your electric bike can help you make plans to see all the tranquil lakes, hidden trails and panoramic vistas the U.S. has to offer.
Electric Bike Adventures: Best e-bike Destinations in the U.S.
From mountain trails, coastal pathways, forest routes and desert tracks, there are plenty of locations you can visit on your e-bike. While apps like TrailLink and AllTrails offer a comprehensive list of America’s best trails for bikes, here are a few of the best scenic outdoor rides you can explore:
Exploring mountain trails on an electric bike is a simple way to enjoy nature’s beauty. With an electric bike, all levels of riders can enjoy mountainous scenery. Popular mountain biking destinations for e-bike riding include:
- Flume Trail, Lake Tahoe, Nevada. A scenic trail that offers breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe’s crystalline waters framed by lush mountain terrain. E-bikes are allowed on trails open to motor vehicles, helping you manage the steep slopes easily so you can appreciate the panoramic beauty.
- Aspen Snowmass, Colorado. This vast network of trails amidst the Rocky Mountains welcomes e-bikes, letting you weave through dense Aspen groves, past tranquil mountain lakes and across wildflower meadows. E-bikes aren’t allowed on singletrack bike trails, but you can ride on the main Rio Grande trail and all paved service roads.
Riding along coastal paths on an electric bike is a delightful way to soak in the seaside scenery. The ease provided by the electric motor allows a relaxed journey, enabling riders to take in the fresh ocean air and panoramic view of the following locations:
- Marvin Braude Bike Trail, California. This trail stretches along the Pacific coastline, offering a scenic route through numerous charming beach communities. The smooth path makes it an ideal choice for those who want a relaxed ride while enjoying the beach vibes and ocean breeze. E-bikes are allowed, but various areas may have speed limits and other rules. For example, Manhattan Beach has a speed limit of 15 mph on the trail.
- Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. The gentle terrain of Nantucket Island is perfect for e-bike exploration. The picturesque coastal trails, such as the Polpis Road Path, let riders venture along the shoreline through quaint villages and past historic lighthouses, providing a serene and visually delightful outing. All Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed in Massachusetts; however, you must follow any posted speed limits or regulations on specific trails.
Exploring forest routes on an electric bike offers a magical escape into lush vegetation, where you can see centuries-old trees and native flowers and plants. These forest routes are excellent choices for your next e-bike excursion:
- Cades Cove, Tennessee. Experience a serene 11-mile loop through the heart of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The gentle terrain surrounding the Cades Cove campgrounds is perfect for e-biking, offering a peaceful retreat in the lush valley. Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed on all paved surfaces and bike paths in National Forests but cannot be ridden on dirt walking trails.
- Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania. Nestled in the heart of Pennsylvania, the Allegheny National Forest offers visitors 514,029 acres of natural beauty. Its expansive landscape is a mesh of thriving woodlands, shimmering lakes and meandering rivers. Like other national parks, you can ride your Class 1 or 2 e-bike on any trail for motorized vehicle use, such as the Jakes Rock Overlook path.
Sparse desert tracks offer a glimpse of a rugged yet beautiful landscape and unforgettable views of an expansive skyline. Some of the most stunning desert routes to explore include:
- White Rim Road, Utah. Situated within the vast expanse of Canyonlands National Park, the 100-mile White Rim Road offers a thrilling adventure, looping around and beneath the Island in the Sky mesa top. This iconic route provides riders with breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes, from towering rock formations to deep canyons carved by ancient rivers.
For the ultimate adrenaline-pumping challenge, try sections such as the steep inclines of the Shafer Trail, Hardscrabble Hill, Murphy Hogback, Lathrop Canyon Road and the dizzying Mineral Bottom switchbacks.
- 50-Year Trail at Catalina State Park, Arizona. The 50-Year Trail at Catalina State Park, Arizona, offers e-bike enthusiasts a captivating desert experience. Spanning 8.6 miles, its moderate difficulty combines packed dirt, soft sand chutes and boulder crossings, making it suitable for beginners and advanced riders. The trail’s diverse terrain amidst open deserts and foothills makes it an exciting e-bike adventure, especially between October and April.
Recommended Electric Bikes for Scenic Outdoor Adventure
Mountain, fat tire and touring e-bikes are ideal for traversing mountainous, coastal or forested regions. The following models, made by brands like Giant, Trek and Aventon, have features specifically made for outdoor riding:
Mountain e-bikes are perfect for scenic outdoor rides through rugged terrain and steep inclines. They typically feature lightweight, durable frames made from carbon fiber or titanium, powerful motors with high torque ratings and specialized tires that ensure smooth navigation on rough trails, effortless hill climbs and enhanced grip on slippery surfaces.
The Giant Trance X E+ 3 Pro is an exceptional choice for scenic outdoor rides. Its powerful SyncDrive Pro engine, 625 Wh battery and full-suspension frame provide endurance and smooth handling on rugged terrain. This mountain bike, equipped with hydraulic disc brakes and a 12-speed Shimano Deore transmission, ensures safety on steep descents while its 29″ Maxxis tires grip trails effortlessly.
Fat Tire E-Bikes
Fat tire e-bikes provide increased stability and traction on various surfaces, from sandy beaches to snowy trails. Fat tires can be run at much lower pressures than regular tires. This feature increases the surface area in contact with the ground, improving grip, which is beneficial on slippery or soft terrains. The electric assist guarantees sustained energy on extended journeys, letting you enjoy the scenery without tiring.
The Aventon Aventure 1, with its open frame and robust 750 W Aventon engine, offers exhilarating yet comfortable scenic rides. Boasting a 678 Wh battery, pedal and throttle assistance and 26″ Kenda fat tires, it ensures smooth, powerful journeys across any terrain.
Touring e-bikes are engineered for scenic outdoor adventures, offering features like extended battery life, comfortable seating and storage options for long journeys. Unlike road bikes, which prioritize speed on smooth surfaces, touring e-bikes emphasize rider comfort and adaptability across varied terrains.
Trek electric bikes offer several superb touring models ideal for long-distance riding. The Trek Verve+ 3 features a high-capacity, long-range battery. Fueled by a top-tier Bosch Active Line Plus motor, it accelerates powerfully on challenging terrain. Ergonomic handlebars and an adjustable saddle ensure maximum comfort, making it perfect for extended tours and short leisurely rides.
Explore the Most Scenic Locations in the Country on Two Wheels
The U.S. has some of the most stunning landscapes and scenery in the world and one of the best ways to get up close to these amazing locations is by e-bike. You can find affordable electric bikes to help you get out and explore your area’s natural scenery, helping you discover your new favorite spots and create lasting memories.