Charles Babbage, the father of the computer and architect of the Analytical Engine is credited with an early version of a speedometer for use on locomotives. In 1888, Josip Belusic, a Croatian, came up with the electric speedometer. Modern bike speedometers have catapulted cycling into the realm of space travel. These microcomputers help you to keep records, motivate you into knocking yourself out by goading you to ‘go where no man has gone before’. They are extremely simple devices that give a lot of information back, so there is no call to get intimidated by complex-sounding installations or functions. Here we take a look at how to hook them up, so let’s dive into bike computer installation.
What Is a Speedometer?
As related to bicycles, it’s called a cyclo-computer. Earlier on, this would have been a misnomer; there are no chips, ICs or whathaveyou. It was electro-magnetic in essence. A speedometer is fundamentally a device mounted on a bike that calculates and furnishes trip information. A speedometer gives you an instantaneous reading of your current speed. It is usually augmented by an odometer which is a display of distance covered. The basic working principle of an analog speedometer on a bike is shown below.
Modern versions incorporate an electronic bike computer sensor that utilizes the time taken per revolution as the basis for all other computations.
How to Bicycle Speedometer Setup
Bicycle speedometers are small computers that are attached and start with the measuring of your wheel revolutions. Sensors are located on your bike wheels and wheel size being known, computes your speed. The tricky bit here is calibration. If that is not accurate, the exercise becomes meaningless.
- Soldering Iron
- Wire cutters
- A stripper or knife
- Bicycle tools
- Cable ties
The computer sensor goes on to the fork opposite the brakes on the front mount. The sensor can be affixed at any point on the fork, just make sure you can access it easily. If no specific attachments were advised, secure the sensor with cable ties.
- 【Multi-Functions】SOON GO bicycle computer wireless records average speed, maximum speed, current speed mph/kph, riding time, odometer, and one-way distance to effectively track your riding，SOONGO bike speedometer meets all your needs for cycling information tracking
- 【Auto Sleep & Wake-Up】Auto sleep just showing clock to save battery after no operation for 5 minutes and SOONGO bicycle computer automatically wakes up to track speed and distance when your bicycle moves again. Reminder: When the speedometer wakes up, there will be rattling sound to remind you that you can start your pleasant itinerary record journey.
- 【Green Backlight & Clear Display】 the bike odometer will display green back light gets on lasting for 6 seconds,the large LCD display, the data is clear at a glance, which is convenient for read at night and riding.more safe and convenient.
- 【Easy Installation & Accurate Tracking Speed】 Follow the instructions provided in the enclosed paper manual and video to easily install it. You can easily set up your cycling computer successfully. The SOONGO bike computer adopts stable wireless transmission. You only need to make the distance between the computer display, the sensor and the magnet less than 60cm, so that they can fully communicate to ensure the accurate speed tracking of your riding.
- 【Waterproof & Widely Suitable】With rubber ring and full-sealed compact body, SOONGO bike speedometer works great on rainy days as usual. Suitable for most bicycles with spoke wheel frames：common bicycles, mountain bikes, road bikes, folding bikes,is not compatible with some solid wheel bicycles.If the product is different from your expectations, We are always ready to provide you with quality service.your satisfaction is our greatest wish.
The sensor wire should be run up the back and outer part of the shock absorber. It is highly desirable that the wire is protected from the undergrowth that you encounter in your rides as also keeping the wire away from the wheel in motion. A tip here is to encase the wire in plastic tubing of small diameter and affix it using cable ties.
Attach the computer display mount on the handlebar where it is easy to see. Every mount differs slightly. So yours should be secured according to your computers’design.
Mate the sensor wire and the computer mount, secure with cable ties, give everything a once over, attach additional cable ties if required. Bear in mind to leave sufficient slack so that the handlebars and front wheel are free to turn unhindered.
Clip the sensor to the spokes carefully choosing the location. The magnet should pass close to the sensor at every turn of the wheel. It should be no further than ¼ inch away when it passes the sensor.
Enter the diameter of your bicycle tire into the computer. This will be the basis of all calculations so there is little scope of error here. The measurement is readily available from the marking on the tire itself or the manual will tell you.
Turn the wheel a couple of times. A non-zero reading on the display tells you that it is working. To check the accuracy you can cycle between two consecutive mile markers and check the reading.
Tips for Setting up a Speedometer
- Mount the magnet as close to the hub as possible so that it passes the sensor slowly giving an accurate reading.
- After installing the magnet, position the sensor suitably on the fork. Test the computer, make adjustments, then secure.
- Cable ties are unsightly. You can use transparent plastic tape that comes in 2” rolls. Clean the surface properly though before putting the tape on.
- The wire should lead up the back of the fork. This is both aesthetic and aerodynamic.
- If you are fitting a cyclometer on a bike with cantilever brakes, install sensor and magnet on the left if possible.
As you saw, a bicycle speedometer setup is a walk in the park. To make it as easy as stealing candy from a baby, there are wireless computers now available and no, they are not expensive. No messy wires and whathaveyou. So make the best of what you have gleaned from this guide and set up your speedometer if you don’t have one already. Some speedometers give a lot more information including your heart rate. The choice is vast.
- 【2022 NEW DESIGN - SOLAR ENERGY】:With solar panel,speedometer for bike mph can automatically charge in the sunshine or light, provide extra power to the cycling computer while built-in 2 batteries to keep your ordinary electricity need.Environmental protection, Extend battery service life and Save your money. When mounting with the battery of the sensor, please pay attention to points of the power connection.( press the iron piece to make the battery and equipment fully contact)
- 【MULTI FUCTIONS AND WIDE APPLICABLE】:Built-in 22 functions, speedometer for bike works well to measure speed,distance,riding time calorie counter and etc which what any serious bicyclist or fitness fanatic needs.Small size ,lightweight and wireless design make the bicycle computer wireless suitable for most types of bicycles(may not suit for some type with large spokes)
- 【AUTO SLEEP & WAKE UP FUNCTION】:After no signal inputs of 300 seconds, the screen of bike speedometer wireless will go into a standby sleep mode with LCD displays. When you shake the bike computer or any signal is inputted or any button is pressed,this cycle computer will automatically wake up
- 【WIRELESS & WATERPROOF DESIGN】:Wireless and Waterproof Design makes bike mile tracker more convenient and durable.Never worried about the complex in install the wires on your handlebars,No need to worry about rain.Simple installation that only takes a few minutes. Easy to navigate interface with only two buttons to access all measurements of the cycling computer waterproof.JUST ENJOYING YOUR RIDING
- 【DAY & NIGHT BACKLIGHT】:Speedometer for bike provides backlight and large LCD display for easy viewing during dark hours.The backlight will automatically turn on for 4 seconds per time between 17:00 and 07:00,press both button to keep the light on. Guarantee: You could return with any reason during the first 30 days. Your satisfaction would be our priority. Any problem please feel free to conatct us
Leave a Comment